Monday, February 19, 2024

What's Next On My List? The Suicide Squad

Here we are, ten years of #StalloneMonth. Over time I have decided to stop writing, it does not bring me the same joy as it did, but you know what I do still love? Movies. I just adore movies. And one of the many actors that keeps me going back to the big screen is none other than Sylvester Stallone. As I am going through his filmography, it is always hard to choose the four movies I will cover, and honestly, I am slowly running out, having done this for ten years now, it is no wonder. This man is a machine, and I hope he will be making movies for many years to come! Let's just jump into the next one:

The Suicide Squad is both a continuation of the films in the former DC universe, and in my opinion, a stand-alone film as well. I can confidently say that, because I had not seen a lot of the other DC films, but I had no problem getting immediately immersed in the insanity of this film. The new team, Margot Robbie's Harley Quinn, Idris Elba's Bloodsport, John Cena's Peacemaker, Joel Kinnaman's Colonel Rick Flag, with returning Viola Davis' Amanda Waller, and finally, the fantastic Sly Stallone voicing King Shark himself. The team is sent on a mission, that will undoubtedly cause losses to the team, and they are also faced with the revelation of secret government information that they were not supposed to find out in the first place... 

It was a bit of a struggle to find the right movies for this review series, because Stallone has had many small roles, equally fantastic, honestly, to me he always steals the show when he is on screen, but I don't want to overlook smaller roles, because there are none of the kind: there are many interview series online that discuss how there are no small roles, not only do actors star out like that, but also, some of the biggest awards have been given out to those actors who just came in for something small, but their contribution was immense to the project. And having Stallone voice King Shark was fantastic, he was an adorable creature, there is something about King Shark that the adaptations in the last couple of years that have made him more endearing, less of a villain, and more of a creature. I would definitely want to hang out with him, despite being a shark. Stallone has now had a couple of movies with Gunn, I hope his presence will be seen in future projects as well. He is one of the few actors who has been both in Marvel and DC. 

Now, should you watch this movie? Absolutely. I am a big DC fan, and I have been unhappy with 90% of the films that I saw, but I hoped that Gunn will deliver. I laughed, I was disgusted, I was intrigued, and I was never bored, not even for a second. I look back fondly at this film, it was a light in the darkness that was the pandemic, and I would recommend this wholeheartedly to anyone. 

Stay tuned for our last review coming up, this February went by very fast. I always look forward to this time of the year, and I am happy to have taken the time to write a bit, there are times when I miss writing my blog, but it is a very difficult for me to make time for this since having a full time job. But at least it gives me a reason to make sure I take time to watch movies, which is one of my favorite things at the end of the day. See you soon!

No comments:

Post a Comment