Saturday, February 10, 2024

What's Next On My List? Expend4bles

Here we are, ten years of #StalloneMonth. Over time I have decided to stop writing, it does not bring me the same joy as it did, but you know what I do still love? Movies. I just adore movies. And one of the many actors that keeps me going back to the big screen is none other than Sylvester Stallone. As I am going through his filmography, it is always hard to choose the four movies I will cover, and honestly, I am slowly running out, having done this for ten years now, it is no wonder. This man is a machine, and I hope he will be making movies for many years to come! Let's just jump into the next one:


This was the first Expendables film I saw on the big screen and I was really disappointed... Spoilers coming, so be ready. The film itself had the same kind of fantastic ideas, genius stunts, fight scenes, jokes and puns, and a compelling story. However, our lead, Barney played by Sylvester Stallone dies at the beginning of the film. I was waiting for a twist, I was waiting for a reveal, I was waiting for something to finally happen, and when it did... it was really underwhelming. 

We are presented with a new team of expendables, but there was nothing to connect us to them, the film did not really take the time to make me care, and so: I didn't. The film was really about Jason Statham's Christmas, and I am a huge fan of the actor, you don't have to convince me to go and see his films, I love this character too. But with so many new characters having been introduced, even his star was not really shining as bright as it could. I have read a lot of commentary on Megan Fox's performance, and really, I had no issue with her, I do think that she had more chemistry with her cast mates than she did with Statham, and that was annoying. Once again, I feel that the film just fell short, and it was such a shame, because there were really good ideas in it. Returning members like Dolph Lundgren's Gunner, and Randy Couture's Toll Road were phenomenal as always. And I appreciate the work that went into this film, but without Barney leading the team it is not the same.

I would still recommend this movie, if you want to see all from the series, do not skip it, the stuntmen's work alone is award worthy, and I hope soon stunts will be just as rewarded as acting is. However, if you want to see this film for Stallone, unfortunately, there is not much there. I wonder where the franchise is gonna go next.

See you in the next review!

No comments:

Post a Comment