Thursday, August 20, 2020

What's Next On My List? Miss Congeniality

For this summer season, I am going to go back to old movies. The quarantine left many looking for new content, I, on the other hand, went back and wanted to re-watch some movies that I was fond of but never got around to seeing again. A story can be very different if you grow up, if you experience life, if you are no longer just looking for a "happy ending" but for the story that leads there. I decided to talk a bit about all those movies that I re-watched during the quarantine, and will keep on watching this summer. Yes, it is good to have new content to watch, but certain films really merit another look.


FBI agent Gracie Hart (Sandra Bullock) has a weird mission on her hands, as the Miss United States beauty pageant is compromised and somebody's life is on the line, Gracie goes undercover, but it is a much harder job than she anticipated, as she is not the beauty pageant "type". She is, however, a great agent. 

Funnily enough, I was reminded of this movie while rewatching old seasons of Friends, where Chandler is adamant on watching it over and over, and I decided to pop in my copy as well. I really loved this movie when it came out, and just generally, the more years pass and the more movies I watch with Sandra Bullock, the more I realize that she is ultimately my favorite actress of all time. She really has effing range, and anytime she is on the screen I just melt in my shoes. It was no different for this light hearted comedy, which really had one of the most creative plots at the start of the 2000 era. My favorite part, besides the great jokes and one liners, was the relationship between Gracie and Rhode Island's Cheryl Fraser (Heather Burns). Yes, this is not Gracie's world, but she can still see why someone would want to participate in a pageant like this, and most importantly, she goes out of her way to protect these girls.

Watch it? I was very sad to find out that this only ranks as a 6.2 on imdb, as this was very much a beloved movie not only when it came out, but years after too among the people I know. This movie has an outstanding all-star cast, with an original plot and very funny interactions. I find it to be simply a delight to watch and re-watch any day of the week. This is a small review, but really, I just want to get you to see it in case you had not!

Until the next item on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment