Thursday, August 13, 2020

What's Next On My List? Fried Green Tomatoes

For this summer season, I am going to go back to old movies. The quarantine left many looking for new content, I, on the other hand, went back and wanted to re-watch some movies that I was fond of but never got around to seeing again. A story can be very different if you grow up, if you experience life, if you are no longer just looking for a "happy ending" but for the story that leads there. I decided to talk a bit about all those movies that I re-watched during the quarantine, and will keep on watching this summer. Yes, it is good to have new content to watch, but certain films really merit another look.


Evelyn Couch (Kathy Bates) befriends an old lady, Ninny Threadgoode (Jessica Tandy), who starts to tell her stories of her family. Evelyn realizes that she is unhappy in her relationship, and it is this old lady the only one who seems to care for her. As result, hearing the stories of strong women, she decides to become the one who cares for herself as opposed to waiting for someone else to do it for her. 

This was one of my mom's favorite movies (I am fairly certain she missed the obvious lesbian vibes), and years later we saw a copy on a discounted DVD rack and she bought and we watched it that very night. First, it a very serious movie, dealing with racism and sexism, some that have lived on in our society years later. Second, it is two big stories taking being told at the same time. I really love how Evelyn, our main character, gets inspired by a woman who defied societies expectations long before it was in any way acceptable by women to stand up for themselves. And these women, Idgie  (Mary Stuart Masterson) and Ruth (Mary-Louise Parker), decided to be happy, no matter what. As I said, fighting against illnesses that cannot be treated, against institutional racism and sexism, against death, sometimes, is very tiring. But Idgie and Ruth never gave up on seeing the good things in life and that is really the best lesson that you can take away from this story. 

Watch it? I find that this was a very successful movie, but as always, people who did not see this movie with their parents, are likely to never know about it. This is a beautiful and very powerful story that bring together two generations facing similar issues in a society that has not evolved to their standards yet. I am sure you can find a billion reviews of this movie, along with all the awards it was nominated for, but I wanted to take a moment to bring it to Your attention, so you make sure to give it a look!

Until the next item on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment