Sunday, May 26, 2019

What's Next On My List? 101 Dalmations II: Patch's London Adventure

In a previous review, The Queen's Corgi, I talked about my ultimate favorite dog breed, the adorable and fluffy corgi, and how my obsession with them began with this little animated cartoon over  15 years ago. Because it is a sequel, I do think it is one of the most underrated movies out there, but as it is my favorite, I just had to talk about it.


Patch feels unnoticed among his 100 siblings, but he is determined to change that. He gets the chance to meet his idol Thunderbolt, the hero dog from his favorite series. But as they meet, the illusion of a simple actor pains Patch, but he decides that he can be a hero if he acts instead of following others. Cruella tries to get the puppies for herself again, but Patch alone decides to stop her.

I chose this movie from hundreds at the video store, because I loved the poster and I just thought: puppies! Sequels were not a big thing when this came out and that is a big shame. I loved the characters in this story: Cruella is done, we have seen how she goes crazy but I liked that she was at her lowest in this movie. She lost the fight, in the previous one, but she does have an unhealthy obsession and that is how it is dealt with in this movie, as a disease in her brain. In the original she is an evil person, but wanting to harm animals in this quantity is sign of a bigger problem... she befriends an artist by the name of Lars (voiced by the brilliant Martin Short), who wants to help her with her obsession, but he is unwilling to murder for anyone. Cruella decides to kill the dogs herself, but Patch intervenes, with the help of Thunderbolt himself. Thunderbolt has to learn an important lesson, and it is this little pup that helps him with it: his strength is not measured by a script, but by himself. Aside from the very good moral values taught in this movie, from believing in ourselves and standing up for what is right, which I find already make it an excellent children's story, it is simply very funny.
The best character is of course Lightning, the sidekick, who wants to get Thunderbolt out of the show in order to become the star. He is so chubby and so evil and I just love him so much. He is voiced by the wonderful Jason Alexander, and his motivations for wanting to be in the spotlight all come from a very clear motivator: jealousy. To me this alone was a lesson worth teaching, the fact that if we do not address the issues that make us bitter inside, we are bound to be consumed by them. I just wanted to pet this character sooo bad... despite being a backstabbing little fur ball of evil, he was simply so adorable, I couldn't hate him! I need to get a corgi!

Watch it? Definitely recommended to anyone with children. It is a very funny story with lots of physical comedy and a wonderful moral lesson. I feel like the "creepy" factor from the first movie was toned down a bit, and it is a perfect story that connected 101 Dalmations with the live-action 102 Dalmations movie. And despite what many Disney sequels might look like: this is beautifully drawn and animated with some of the best voice actors in the business.

Until the next item on my list!
_ _ _ _ _ 

Patch  - Bobby Lockwood
Thunderbolt - Barry Bostwick
Lightning  - Jason Alexander
Lars - Martin Short
Cruella  - Susanne Blakeslee

No comments:

Post a Comment