Wednesday, May 1, 2019

Next and FRESH: Avengers Infinity War and Endgame

Unlike as I have done so far, this isn't going to be much of a review, but more of a comment on both movies and the reception they received. To be honest, I have enjoyed both very much, but again, my threshold is not that high... you can argue with me all you want about the science, the additional plot-holes you uncovered since and the choice of leading storylines, but I just... don't care right now. You can't really argue with feelings, and to me the overall experience outweighs the small problems. They are not perfect movies, and we need to remember that you cannot please everyone. So with that in mind, here are my thoughts:

Avengers: Infinity War
Since I am sure you have all seen the movie already, so I do not feel like I have to go into details. But there is something that has been bothering me ever since I saw people's reaction to it. Obviously: spoilers. I am DONE with people blaming Peter Quill for why they lost. You know why they lost? BECAUSE THERE WERE MEANT TO BE TWO MOVIES. Assuming that they could have been successful in the first one makes you f*cking stupid. Nobody was supposed to be successful in this movie. And then... I am fed up with the double-standard that people put these characters to: Tony Stark loses his shit over finding out Bucky killed his parents, everyone is fine with that, we get it, poor Tony, yes, do punch Captain America. Captain America finds out that Bucky is alive, he loses it, goes punching around, lies, breaks the law, everyone high-fives him because he is Captain America. Then there is Peter... who was already able to shoot the love of his life just because he promised her and it was Thanos who stopped him. This guy was able to do that and then you go around and hate him because he was holding onto hope of seeing her again? And then, he loses both of his parents and hears that another father was able to kill their child, the woman he loves, and you... hate him? What is wrong with you? So he wasn't your favorite character and as a result he can go f*ck himself for the same kind of behavior that you are completely OK with when it comes to your favorite characters? Let's be honest, nobody in this universe deals with feelings very well, and the movies made sure to build that up. Remember when Drax called Ronan to settle his score? Remember how Black Panther went after the Winter Soldier, believing he killed his father? Half of the stories would not have went down the way they did if these characters had not acted on emotions. So shut up! (On that note, I am not blaming Thor either, for the above mentioned reasons.)

Avengers: Endgame
So here is what I wanted to say about the--- wait. Have you seen the movie? You better have seen it before you keep on reading. OH MY GOD, why have you not seen the movie yet? What is wrong with you! Go, go, go!!! But going into my notes, without any spoilers, there was no scene that was unnecessary, so to me the three hours were more than justified. The science used was explained in the beginning, telling us how they will go about their solutions - paying also homage to all the other stories that have used similar tactics. Then, the writers never forgot the people who were close to each other over the movies, and that really played a strong part in the ending. Finally, the most important thing: I do believe there was a level of fan service involved in the build up of the story. However, and this is the most important thing, it did not feel like it was just a bunch of scenes next to each other with the simple intent of pleasing the viewers. I do find that we got every single thing that we wanted to see and the story was still awesome. To me, everything made sense and seeing all these "Blabla explained because viewers didn't understand..." articles make my head hurt. Kinda wish that neither rotten tomatoes or... like comment sections existed as of right now. I would be open to hearing honest criticism of this movie, I am yet to see it, but expectations were high and it will not please everyone. It was, however, made for me. 

I am happy to argue about either of these movies, honestly, I am not going to go and say that every single thing made by the MCU is without fault. I do, however, see people that only complain for the sake of complaining, and I am having none of it. But I do believe that expectations were huge and despite that it delivered big time. Both are emotional, action packed, funny and do justice to what this movie universe has set up over the course of over 10 years.

Until the next item on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment