Thursday, June 28, 2018

What's Next On My List? The Incredible Burt Wonderstone

My sister watches way more movies than I do, but because of that, I get to see the best of the best, as she selects those movies that are really worth seeing. One of these gems was this movie, that I did not even know existed and have loved every single second of. Let us get into the magic trick that is:


We open with a magician duo who hasn't had a new act in years, and they are going out of style, because the new magician, or more accurately, illusionists, are taking over the audiences. Burt and his partner Anton part ways, and he has to relearn why he loved magic as a kid: it was never because of the profit, but for the feel of magic being real. He cared about making others believe and making others see the wonder in everything. He gets hold of his old partner to come up with a new show and become the biggest magicians in history.

I just loved how the movie made fun of illusionists: it is true, nowadays we cannot settle for little things, we have to be amazed and shocked and the more we are the better... it might just be me, but I love small magic tricks too. The magic comes from not understanding it, not from someone cutting their own head off... As children we believe in magic and I think as adults we miss that very much. But, do we really need big things? I know I don't. The movie focuses on how a man has to find himself again in order to be happy in life. I think that is a very heavy moral lesson for a great comedy. This movie has good writing, wonderful casting, and such comic delivery which is very rare in movies nowadays. I am not surprised that it has a low rating, because people with sophisticated sense of humor seem to be a minority on this planet... But I encounter this with almost all movies I see lately. Good comedies have their small group of fans, and that is fine. I feel bad because that is not what box offices are concerned with, but I know that actors do care for smaller projects too and knowing that there are fans of it is still rewarding.

Watch it? Definitely. I loved every minute of it! It not only made me believe in magic again, but it was a very spot on social commentary as far as consumption is concerned. It hit all the right notes with me, and I didn't even know it existed: Maybe someone out there is looking for a movie like this right now!

Until the next item on my list!
_ _ _ _ _ _

Burt Wonderstone - Steve Carell
Anton Marvelton - Steve Buscemi
Jane - Olivia Wilde
Steve Gray - Jim Carrey
Doug Munny - James Gandolfini
Rance Holloway - Alan Arkin

No comments:

Post a Comment