Sunday, August 27, 2017

What's Next On My List? The Words

“Will you tell me something? Why would such a beautiful intelligent girl such as yourself wanna be something so silly as a writer? Don’t you know words ruin everything?”


A writer, Clay Hammond, reads out from his book to a wide audience, and in it he details the story of a young writer who finds another man's writings and publishes them as his own. Not only does the burden of stealing persecute him, but he also encounters the man from whom he stole the book.

I adored this movie. I want to be a writer when I grow up. Now, I know that I am not an Ernest Hemingway, I wasn't born for this, but it is what makes me the happiest. I believe that in life you should do what makes you happy and find someone who will pay you for it. I do not wish to tell a story that nobody has never heard of or something that is unprecedented. I don't even wish for worldwide fame, I just want to be able to write. The main character, Rory Jansen, struggles because he wishes for that fame. He knows he is a good writer, but he can't catch a break with every publisher refusing to believe in him. Trust me, publishers can crush a man's dream. I wish to write something that at least someone will want to publish, to be able to hold it in my hands and to show it to my children and say that I did this, I was the author, this is the thing I am proudest of in my life. While watching this movie I could feel every character seeking greatness, seeking a way to create that one thing that will outlive them. For the original author of the book the story was more important than the love of his life. For the one who stole it, he realized that having fame without having earned it is futile. Finally, Hammond, the man who wrote this book with this story is either autobiographical or simply someone who had fallen into the same traps as his character, as he lost his wife, his previous life to the work and the pen he could never put down. There are hints that perhaps this happened to him too, and whether that is the case or not, each men had their own story and own lessons to learn and I have found something endearing and lovable in each one of them: They taught lessons worth learning.

Watch it? I would recommend it whole heartedly. The movie is set up very well, with the three story lines intertwining and raising the stakes at every turn. You might not be a writer, but you cannot help but wonder what is going to happen, what is the moral of the story, where is the tale of the main character headed? And you will not be disappointed when you get the answers.

Until the next item on my list!
_ _ _ _ _

Clay Hammond - Dennis Quaid
Rory Jansen - Bradley Cooper
Dora Jansen - Zoe Saldana
Daniella - Olivia Wilde
Young Man - Ben Barnes
Old Man - Jeremy Irons

No comments:

Post a Comment