Friday, May 12, 2017

What Next On My List? The Last Five Years

Welcome to #MusicalMay! If you have followed my blog before, then you know that I am big musical fan. I just think that singing makes everything better, I really do. It is a sort of medicine to the soul. When two years ago I wrote about my favorites from Halloween to Christmas I still had many left on my list and I will cover a few of them this month! Enjoy the music.

This was one my sister's favorite musicals and she was happy it was made into a movie, so was I, because you see we will never go to Broadway. Even if by chance we get the money to go to America, we will never get to see our favorite musicals live. We love musical movies because they bring us closer. And not everything gets translated into Hungarian, so the stage is rarely an option for us. This is one of those musicals too.


The narration of this musical is outstanding. We have a couple, Cathy and Jamie, and the story is told backwards for one of them. Cathy, an actress, starts off singing at the end of their relationship, while Jamie, the writer, is at the beginning. They meet up in the middle, when Jamie asks Cathy to marry him, and in the end we see how Jamie is no longer as happy in this relationship as the fist time Cathy was when she met him.

"Jamie is over and Jamie is gone.
Jamie's decided it's time to move on.
Jamie has new dreams he's building upon.
And I'm still hurting."

This idea is quite spectacular, not to mention that to me it signified that there was a point of view shift within the musical. When Jamie asks her to marry him, the initial scene is repeated, but a bit differently, which to me implied that now we see it from Cathy's point of you. Not only point of view but from her recollection of the story. As the story unravels you sometimes feel mad at Jamie, but then again, that is just one point of view. Each relationship takes two, let that be marriage, love, friendship, and each side has their own good reasons for acting the way they do. You need to listen and be patient. If it doesn't work out, it doesn't, but don't let that be because there was no communication or you were too stubborn to put aside your own expectations.
This musical actually reminds me of a quote from the TV show Nashville, which goes "Sometimes the one we learn the most from is not the one we end up with." When you think about it, we all have relationships that had an impact in our lives. Whoever they were, they had a place in our hearts and left something, good or bad, that we learned from. We learned something of ourselves through that process. In this story Cathy and Jamie learn who they are, what makes them happy, what they want to do for the rest of their lives, and the other one might not be that 'one' they are meant to be with. But the journey they took to get there cannot be underestimated. Shifting the storyline for one of the characters highlights just how important they were to each other. This is a wonderful musical.

Watch it? I'm telling you it's brilliant. The imdb rating is complete idiocracy. This movie had the misfortune of coming out on a bad weekend and people STILL don't take the time to understand musicals and the story behind them... I for one adore every single second of it and wish more people could see it!

Until the next item on my list!
_ _ _ _ _

Cathy - Anne Kendrick
Jamie - Jeremy Jordan

No comments:

Post a Comment