Thursday, September 12, 2024

What's Next on my List? Vehicle 19

 As a tradition, each year in memory of Paul Walker, I review a movie that he starred in as long as I run out. I miss him terribly still... he was truly one of my favorites. This is for you, happy birthday!

I had no expectations going into the movie, and I was very pleasantly surprised. Our main character is Michael Woods (Paul Walker), who goes to Johannesburg to restart his relationship with his wife, ends up driving a car that has a package not intended for him: it is a witness in a court case against the chief of police. Although wanting nothing to do with it, and at first he would take her back to those that kidnapped her, in the end, he decides to help her. The movie is shot from inside the car, even if some of the characters leave it, the camera only looks outside. This car is the reason for all that happens in the film, and as a viewer you never forget it. As the main character he of course ends helping the little guy, but the movie had a very smart layered way of convincing him to not just walk away from it all.

It has been incredibly sad not to have Walker around anymore, but out of many of his films this one reminded me of how talented he was and how much he still had to offer. I always like to remind myself that we are lucky  that we shared the Earth with him and that we do have all those movies that stay with us. This movie feels like an action film, and some of the trailers were certainly edited that way, but really, it is more of a drama, and the main character has continuous struggle over how to make the right choice. But slowly and surely he realizes that there is no right choice. 

I am slowly running out of his films, and it leaves me with this emptiness. It has been 11 years since he passed away, but I still feel this void in my heart. It's silly, I know, it is not like I knew him. But he is a reminder of all the good people we have lost, all the ones who left us too early. Some people made life on this planet worth living. With cancel culture and everyone turning out to be insane, racist, sexists, it's just a good reminder that some people are still good. Were good. In this film they did not cover up his tattoo with the name of his daughter Meadow, but left it in. I think it's beautiful that there is a memory of that too in this film, of the life he led, of his presence on the this wretched planet. 

I do recommend this movie, like I do with every movie from the past couple of years. I have grown tired of mentioning the good and the bad, it is all subjective, it is all in good fun. Movies are fun. A great pass time and a great way to start a discussion, to get to know another person, to get to know yourself better, so see your likes and dislikes, to learn languages ... and to remember some fantastic Hollywood stars we have lost over the years. Just keep watching movies!

Happy Birthday Paul!

No comments:

Post a Comment