Sunday, February 20, 2022

What's Next On My List? Escape Plan The Extractors

Welcome to the eight installment of #StalloneMonth, which I have to say, is my favorite time of the year! In February we look over the filmography of this wonderful actor, Sylvester Stallone, three-four movies at a time. This year I tried to keep a "prison" theme. So let us jump right into it!

Ray Breslin (Sylvester Stallone) gets involved in a missing person's case, as the abductor is the son of his former partner, seeking revenge for his father's death. Breslin had him killed, after he betrayed him. Breslin loses his girlfriend to the altercation, but results in helping a man free his girlfriend and her party that was abducted by the same man to control a very rich man.
This is the hardest review to write because I did not enjoy the movie, but as I said in a previous entry, I am relearning my opinion on movies. Yes, many are not home runs, yet, there is a crew behind it that has tried to do their best. A lot of people involved in the project are not to be blamed if the script is not good. Now, I have been reading a lot of trivia as of late, and the quality of a movie can be ascertained based on how much behind the scenes information is shared on it. Now, I have found out that this movies began filming before Escape Plan 2: Hades (2018) (read review here!) was released. And quite frankly, despite having scenes at a prison, more precisely the historic Ohio Reformatory prison, where The Shawshank Redemption (1994) was filmed, but there was no interesting plan to infiltrate the prison, it was not even really functioning, and killing the villain was ridiculously easy. This movie did have more Stallone, which is my main issue with the second film, and overall the title is not "escape prison", but once again, the film had several new characters that fail to establish any contact with the viewer and I did not care for their story. Even Breslin's girlfriend, Abigail (Jaime King) had no more than six or seven scenes between two films with her partner, and thus failed in making us care. 

So watch it? I think you can skip it. I, as a devoted fan of Stallone will watch everything, and I can tell you that this was rushed unfortunately. The idea of a larger organization bent on taking down Breslin was quite intriguing, but casting decisions as well as some foolish revenge scheme overrode the initial ideas of this trilogy, if it is a trilogy. It will be interesting to see if there are going to be any additional movies in the series. But if I just get to see Stallone and Dave Bautista appear in the new Guardians of the Galaxy movie, then I am good to go!

That will have to do for this years #StalloneMonth. I just love watching his movies, and sharing them with you all. Even the ones that are not as impactful or of tha same caliber as some award winners are just good entertainment. And well, I'll do anything to have some Sly time in my yearly schedule.

Until the next item on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment