Monday, April 19, 2021

Now Streaming: Godzilla vs. Kong

This is the 10th year of my blog, and as always, I have at least 40 movie reviews planned, as well as my personal entries and a good chunk of games and TV shows. Some of these are going to be classics that I just took off my bucket list, others are going to be contemporary ones streaming on major services online. So let us just get onto the next item on my list of chores:

After many years of studying and experiencing the behavior of these Titan animals, an expedition is prepared to enter Hollow Earth, hoping to find their home. Leading the expedition is Dr. Nathan Lind (Alexander Skarsgård), with the help of Ilene Andrews (Rebecca Hall) and Jia (Kaylee Hottle), who have made a bond with Kong. His location is, however, discovered by Godzilla, who has previously attacked a factory, very unlike them, as they never attacked people before. To understand why these attacks occured, a group of unlikely heroes, led by Madison Russell (Millie Bobby Brown) enters the offices of Apex Industry after the attack has occured. The fight of the two is unavoidable, but there is more to it than meets the eyes.

I loved the trailer already, and well, I was not disappointed. I just wanted to see some kaiju have an epic battle and I enjoyed every second of it. I would like to refrain from the debate of who is stronger, as the movie very much establishes it, and it also takes us to a different problem that needs solving, mostly with the thanks of the Titans. I was simply mesmerized by the visuals, the CGI is this movie is gorgeous, it has a great cast, but FINALLY we are not focused on people like the Godzilla movies have for years now... we are here for the monsters, the kaiju, the fight, the destruction, the fear... everything BUT the humans, and I feel like this movie finally got it right in its ratio of necessary human interaction vs. the actual monsters. There are two main plots, they connected wonderfully with the third act, there was not one scene out of order, the music was great, the story was fun... I just love everything about this movie, even the occasionally corny dialogue that was clearly written for the trailer shots. 

Watch it? Well, I would tell you to wait out the virus and go see in the movie theatre, I know that I will, because this was simply stunning, and I got exactly what I wanted from this movie. Arguable all movies are made for the silver screen, but the world is a shitty place right now... this movie did help, however. If you cannot wait, do not have the chance yet, then watch it at home and enjoy the awesome ride. If you can, then go to your local theatre and make sure you get a biiiiig box of popcorn to go with it!

Until the next item on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment