Thursday, July 9, 2020

What's Next On My List? Confessions Of A Dangerous Mind

For this summer season, I am going to go back to old movies. The quarantine left many looking for new content, I, on the other hand, went back and wanted to re-watch some movies that I was fond of but never got around to seeing again. A story can be very different if you grow up, if you experience life, if you are no longer just looking for a "happy ending" but for the story that leads there. I decided to talk a bit about all those movies that I re-watched during the quarantine, and will keep on watching this summer. Yes, it is good to have new content to watch, but certain films really merit another look.


The story of game show impresario Chuck Barris (Sam Rockwell), who is recruited by the C.I.A., through Jim Byrd (George Clooney), to become a hitman and use his TV cover to travel around the world in the Cold War period.

It has been quite few years since I watched this movie. But there are a couple of things I noticed back then that still hold true today, so I would like to share them with you in this small post, and allow me to recommend this movie to you, if in any case it has not reached you under the rock where you live. One, George Clooney is a far better director, than he is an actor. Don't get me wrong, he is very talented, but he insists on serious roles, and I wish he would just be fun and easy, because even a Nespresso trailer shows wider range from him. And so far, any movie he worked on behind the camera has received much deserved attention. He does deserve every praise he receives for directing, writing and producing. Two, the star of this movie, Sam Rockwell, despite that Oscar, I fear is still too underrated. He is probably the best actor of my time and just a full blown star. He has played real life people several times now during his career, and everytime I forget that I am watching him. He has a very peculiar face, and yet, he is a total chameleon. I was blown away by his performance in this movie, and have been following his career since. Cannot wait to see what is next for him! And three... real stories are the most interesting. I deal with representation in popular culture, and of course, I know far too well, that Hollywood is in the business of making stories digestible, but if the original story does not make it possible, neither can the writers get creative with it. It is incredible to see the life of a spy, the idea alone gives goosebumps, but the way it was delivered was remarkable. The movie jumps back and forth in time, among undercover operations, and the weight of taking a life, even if it is for your country.

Watch it? Be ready, it is a serious film, with a couple of twists, that will leave you wondering if you are seeing right, or imagining things along with the main character. BUt this is one story that you want to know about, trust me.

Until the next item on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment