Tuesday, December 17, 2019

What's Next On My List? How The Grinch Stole Christmas

I have compiled a list of Christmas movies I re-watch seen since as long as I can remember. Now, I am going through that list and just writing down movies that I would like to talk about a little bit more in detail. I have some of these on my "Best of" Christmas lists, but I have found, after years of writing my blog, that some things just deserve a bit more attention. So let us get in deeper:


Just above Whoville lives a green who, who hates Christmas, but nobody knows why. One little girl, however is determined to find out, and her search finds not only the pain that makes the Grinch hate Christmas, but the way to increase his heart big enough to care once again. And finally all learn that Christmas doesn't come from the store, Christmas is something more.

I remember when this movie came out and me and my brother went to see it at the only cinema place in Rome that had original voice. He, having had a bit of an American upbringing, with all the shows and movies and books he had read, he was definitely deep into American children classics. We were super excited to see this one, because we love Jim Carrey. And well... we loved it. This is still, up to today, one of our favorite holiday movies. So we were hurt when we found out that the American audience was not happy about it... of course, I understand that it was a movie that gave a lot of background to a story that is quite simple and they did not care for that. However... what I am sure they have not anticipated that the European audience, for example, the ones that have never encountered Dr. Seuss and have not grown up on his rhymes, do not take this so seriously... I do not care if the Grinch's reason for hating Christmas isn't because of a heartbreak or children making fun of him, because it does not matter! It matters that somebody cared enough to make him care too. And looking at the original, when I see the pure spirit of Cindy Lou Who... that is the same spirit I felt in this movie. I do believe that an adaptation is good when it makes you learn the same moral lesson as the story it wanted to adapt. 

Watch it? Oh my god, YES! I actually saw a lot of critics admitting, that even if they don't like this movie as an adaptation, they really do enjoy it as a holiday movie on its own. This is a wonderful movie, who cares where the original story is coming from?! Is the story sound? Yes. Are the actors good? OMG, best cast ever. Is the music good? Yes, it introduced me to the original and I am glad it did. On top of that, it is funny, cute, and heartwarming, and it made me want to live in Whoville more than the original book did. This movie was my childhood and I embrace it!

Until the next item on my list!
_ _ _ _ 

Jim Carrey - Grinch
Taylor Momsen - Cindy Lou Who
Jeffrey Tambor - Mayor Augustus Maywho
Christine Baranski - Martha May Whovier
Bill Irwin - Lou Lou Who
Molly Shannon - Betty Lou Who
Clint Howard - Whobris

No comments:

Post a Comment