Monday, November 18, 2019

What's Next On My List? The Breakfast Club

I have compiled a list of movies I have seen since as long as I can remember. Now, I am going through that list and just writing down movies that I would like to talk about a little bit. These were surprises, hated movies, and some that just worked their way into my hear unexpectedly. So let us get in deeper:


Five teens get Saturday morning detention at school, but they come from all angles of the school, and at one point, they can't help but wonder, how did they all get here? As the day progresses, they defy some more laws, but get to know each other better. Detention becomes the one loophole in the high school hierarchy where a brain, an athlete, a basket case, a princess, and a criminal can become friends.

I was too young when I saw this movie, as I felt related to it, but my English was not perfect and some of the story was lost on me. But as a result, I went and watched it over and over again... and well, I was lucky, there was no real hierarchy when it came to high school for me: there were no cheerleaders or jocks, thankfully. Nonetheless, I knew those people that I would never talk to in my life, and indeed I have not. Somehow, however, life might bring us together in the most unlikely of places, simply because life is unpredictable. These kids suffer a lot, there is plenty material there when it comes to parenting: some of them are neglected, others experience pressure that is hard to deal with at a young age. This is not purely a movie on clicks or bullying, but showcasing that sometimes outside of the family, teachers, schools, the places that children turn to for safety are in fact what may be the cause for distrust.
I am a huge fan of 80s movies, and I find that John Hughes movies stand out for their story telling, their soundtrack, their cast and altogether the experience you go through as an audience member. I feel like I am part of the story, the people on the screen are my friends, or my enemies and I care deeply about how the story unfolds. They remain, however, very down to Earth and true, which makes them far more superior to stories that go overboard to get you interested, either with fantastic elements or simply impossible situations. This movie holds new gems for me every single time when I re-watch it. I do believe that years from now, even when technology will be of second nature to us and especially to teenagers, the lessons that were taught in this story will still be valid.

"We're all pretty bizarre. Some of us are just better at hiding it, that's all."

Watch it? I think that if you wish to see a story about how high school students who are not merely worrying about their prom dress, or about suicide (which seems to be the new favorite trope in television recently). I am sorry, but many shows that I have seen in the past years focus on tragic outcomes to get the viewer to watch. This movie, with very simple, long scenes, of children sharing their fears and thoughts and dreams made me glued to the screen far more than any other current series in television about high schoolers. I do believe that John Hughes was an amazing and one of a kind director, so let us not try to remake this sensational piece, let's just re-watch it. 

Until the next item on my list!
_ _ _ _ _

Emilio Estevez - Andrew Clark
Anthony Michael Hall - Brian Johnson
Judd Nelson - John Bender
Molly Ringwald - Claire Standish
Ally Sheedy - Allison Reynolds
Paul Gleason - Richard Vernon
John Kapelos - Carl

No comments:

Post a Comment