Wednesday, September 5, 2018

FRESH FROM THE THEATER: Ant-Man and the Wasp

Alright, it is not that fresh, but only because I didn't get around to posting it, but technically it was a summer movie and the weather confuses everyone anyway, so stop complaining and enjoy the review, here we go!



Scott has been under house arrest ever since his little mission in Germany where he helped fight along side Captain America. Now, despite being mad at him, the Pym family needs his help as he has shrunk before to atomic levels, and they need his guidance to save someone who has been stuck there for most of her life. Meanwhile, of course, someone else requires the assistance of the Pyms and they are willing to use any and all means to get them.

Gotta be honest, I still haven't seen the first Ant-Man movie, and I am not likely too. You need to know, that one of my favorite stories of all time was that of Hank Pym in the Ultimates universe, where he was a total asshole who beat his wife. You might wonder why, well, the thing is that I too don't believe that heroes are these wonderful creatures who cannot do wrong and are omnipotent in their own way. I think that just because some of us do good, we still have issues, we still drink, we still resort to substances, we go to bed with our nightmares and so on. Marvel has not been shy on showing to the world this part of some heroes, if only you recall the darkness that looms in every Iron Man movie, and I can even understand why this variation of Pym was a bit too much, as clearly they wanted a more comedic approach - nonetheless, Pym himself, even the good version of him, is close to my heart, and when I realized that it will not really be about him, I just stopped caring. I loved Paul Rudd, and based on the reviews I knew it wasn't a bad movie, I just knew that I was not the audience for it. I did, however, take someone to see the second movie and I am glad I did.
This has become my favorite movie of the Marvel Cinematic Universe as of right now and for one particular reason [spoiler]: there is no villain. You can argue with that, but see, as there are two sides to every hero, there are also two sides to every villain. Some hurt us because of their nature, some see the money in everything, and others are forced to do harm to ensure their own survival. We can argue about the moral implications, but at the end of the day, I am much more attracted to a story that is not about an obvious two-dimensional superhero defeating a two-dimensional antagonist. This movie gave me just that, joke on top of joke, with the intent of driving home a very important message: our will to survive may overcome moral decisions.

Watch it? Definitely. I think it was incredibly well done and every character advanced in their own stories as well as adding another gem to the MCU, showing that there are several untold stories out there still! I personally look forward to the next adventures of this Ant-man!

Until the next item on my list!
_ _ _ _ _ _

Scott Lang / Ant-Man - Paul Rudd
Hope Van Dyne / Wasp - Evangeline Lilly
Sonny Burch - Walton Goggins
Janet Van Dyne / Wasp - Michelle Pfeiffer
Dr. Bill Foster - Laurence Fishburne
Dr. Hank Pym - Michael Douglas
Ava / Ghost - Hannah John-Kamen

No comments:

Post a Comment