Tuesday, July 31, 2018

What's Next On My List? Perfect Strangers

I will write this review in English, despite in being an Italian movie, because I would like to propose it to wider audiences out there. I do not think that I will be the one to break this movie to big circles, I trust that most have already come across it, nonetheless, if you haven't and want to, this review might help you get interested!
Scriverò questo post in inglese, perché voglio raccomandare questo film a più persone possibili! E comunque non penso che ci sia bisogno che lo introduca agli italiani!


Seven long-time friends get together for a dinner. When they decide to share with each other the content of every text message, email and phone call they receive, many secrets start to unveil and the equilibrium trembles.

I had to watch this movie for an exam and I am so happy that I did! Without going into too much detail, I wanted to reflect on a couple of things that got my attention, and the particular reason why I liked this movie so much. As each person's secret starts to come to light, you realize that these people have been lying to themselves more than anyone else. Saying it is OK, that they are doing it to not hurt others, that their intentions were pure, or simply to make life a bit more interesting... these are all excuses. When they are faced with their secrets, they also have to face the real person that they are, it is not just a revelation to their friends and loved ones, but really a mirror that they were trying to avoid. What amazes me in people is our ability to make ourselves believe that what we are doing is alright, even if deep down we know it isn't. One's ability to ignore their own faults amazes me up to today.
The ending of the movie, in my opinion, reflects the fact that certain circles and patterns are going to repeat themselves simply because of the people we are. If we keep blinding ourselves to the truth, we will never be able to change our ways. I find that these people are caught in an endless loop of their own unwillingness to change the problems around them. However, an outside viewer might learn from their mistakes and find that the only one of the seven, the one who decides to leave this toxic environment, might be an example to follow in our own lives.

Watch it? Most definitely. Wonderful dialogue, wrapped in a perfect italian cultural blanket, made to touch every single viewer out there, and it does so with tremendous success!

Until the next item on my list!
_ _ _ _ _ _

Carlotta - Anna Foglietta
Cosimo - Edoardo Leo
Bianca - Alba Rohrwacher

No comments:

Post a Comment