Saturday, April 29, 2017

What's Next On My List? Children Of Men

Welcome to #ApocalypticApril! The aim is to cover movies that either have an apocalyptic element or take place after it. I had a class on this, "Post-apocalyptic Science Fiction", and although it was over three years ago, it is still one of my favorites to recall of the many free credits I did. I planned this month for a while now and decided that this is the year for it! Hope you enjoy!

This is the last review for April and in the apocalyptic fashion I thought I would leave for last something that had a major impact on me as a viewer.


In the year 2027 a dystopian future has come to life, when everyone is monitored, but women have become infertile. It has been 18 years since the last baby was born and the youngest person alive was casualty to a bombing on the day when the adventure of our main character begins. Theo Faron is recruited by his ex to help a woman to safety, a woman, who is pregnant by some miracle. She has to be transported to The Human Project where she will be safe, but in a world torn apart by war these two fugitives will have a hard time as there is no one they can trust.

I have seen this movie when it came out. Something drew me to it and I was petrified afterwards. First, the idea of this world is something that was more real to me than anything else. Men with guns shooting at everything and everyone, bombs on every corner, in coffee shops and so on. Nobody is safe. Nobody can be trusted. It was plain terrifying and of course the only organization that cares about the life of humans is considered a myth... I have seen and have reviewed some of the worst sets of dictatorships that have been told in movies or books or anime after an apocalypse. While some dealt with the impending doom of an apocalypse coming. This movie to me was scary because all the others had elements to them that made them a bit less real. I'm not scared of encountering a monster like in Cloverfield, I'm not worried about zombie-like vampire creatures, or an alien attack from someone that fears humanity. I am, however, scared of human stupidity. We as a race are f*cking idiots and we reach for a guns before asking questions and that is the future that this movie showed us.
In not being able to understand the reason for infertility we just start killing each other. Soldiers putting their lives on the line for... what? Each country is dying out. An eye for an eye leaves the whole world blind. There is one beautiful scene where the woman has already had her child and the soldiers hear the cry of the baby and they stop to shoot. Everyone stops to listen to the cry of a child. Something they haven't heard in years. You understand that this is what they fight for: life. But even life has become secondary to conflict and someone needed to remind them of it. Our heroes are victorious but at great costs and great losses. The movie maintains its dark grayish hue as that is what a world that is about to crumble will be. Even if there is a sun up in the sky, the smoke of guns and fires will hide it.

Watch it? Be prepared to cry and to be scared, but moved at the same time. The idea that some haven't forgotten what matters, as in, that children are literally the future is great moral message. Humanity at its worst presented in a wonderful movie. I do recommend it.

This, however, ends our apocalyptic tails for a while. I wanted to write about these movies for the longest time, so I'm happy I got around to them. More? We'll see. This is it for 2017 as far as our impending doom is concerned!

Until the next item on my list!
_ _ _ _ _ _ 

Theo Faron - Clive Owen
Jasper - Michael Cain
Julian - Julianne Moore

No comments:

Post a Comment