Tuesday, December 17, 2013

Blogger: A Starbucks Christmas

You know what I love? A good American Christmas. No matter if it is the mountains covered by snow or in the big city - Christmas is very special in the US. What really gets to me is that Christmas feelings that comes along with seeing people with shopping bags and steaming coffee in their hands. Streets light up as windows are fully decorated for the holidays. There is really nothing quite as magical as Christmas, is there? And for years I've longed for that warm Amerinca feeling and today I have found it!


My dearest friend and I met up in a Starbucks today at Király utca, in Budapest. And let me tell you, that those 100m2 belong more to the US than the whole territory of the embassy does! I stepped in, and there weren't many people inside. But there was a bit of a red light and the baristas were wearing red aprons instead of the iconic green. And most importantly in the background 'Let It Snow' was playing.
Unfortunately in Hungary not all the shops believe in playing Christmas music, and I hate that. That's why I love to shop at Butlers as well - even though it is completely out of my price range - they actually have their own Christmas album that they put on and it is like walking in Winter Wonderland!
But getting back to Starbucks, I remembered reading a list on buzzfeed.com about three weeks ago entitled "23 Signs You're Obsessed With Christmas". And, well all of them apply... it was kind of crazy and number four was: You think the day Starbucks’ red cups come out is a holiday in itself. And well I do now! And when you step into the shop, you immediately see the merchandise and they have all of these Christmas mugs with candy cane handles and colorful insides. Not to mention the free samples of apple pie at the counter and the giant gingerbread man :D
I actually brought my friend there because I have a history with the caramel hot chocolate - which I believe is God's gift to humanity. The sweetness of a hot chocolate with that magical after taste of caramel! I remember drinking this three years ago in Vienna when my father brought us to see the markets during the holidays. Ever since then, whenever life throws me a curve ball, whenever I feel like I just want to kill somebody I get myself to the closest Starbucks and get a hot chocolate. And this year I needed it because I've had a very stressful semester and this was my only gift to myself for Christmas. No more luxuries this year :D If I get some money from Santa, I'll try to drink a gingerbread latte! And well, my friend liked it, so I get extra points for my good tastes!
Either way, being inside the coffee place, dimmed red-yellow lights, gingerbread everywhere, sipping chocolate, surrounded by calming holiday music and exchanging gifts with one of my dearest friends? It really doesn't get any better than that! And in the back of my mind, I guess the thing that really fooled me into thinking I am a US citizen for two hours was two scenes from my favorite movie You've Got Mail. (You should really listen to Bing Crosby's White Christmas when you read this part!) In one, at Christmas, one of the main characters walks on the streets of the Big Apple and looks inside the window of bookshop that has a little Winter Wonderland in it with a functioning toy train. The second is when the main character Joe reads out from his letter the following: "The whole purpose of places like Starbucks is for people with no decision-making ability whatsoever to make six decisions just to buy one cup of coffee. Short, tall, light, dark, caf, decaf, low-fat, non-fat, etc. So people who don't know what the hell they're doing or who on earth they are can, for only $2.95, get not just a cup of coffee but an absolutely defining sense of self: Tall! Decaf! Cappuccino!" - What I love about this quote is the amount of reality in it. It is actually very true! Tall! Caramel hot chocolate! And yes, I do want whipped cream on the top!

Before you ask me, yes, I realize that my whole entry is one huge Starbucks advertisement. But I don't care. This year was especially tough for me and well, I'll take all I can get when it comes to Christmas. I realize that being inside the coffee shop isn't like being in New York and skating in front of Rockefeller Center - but it sure damn feels like it and that was the best gift I could've asked for!

Merry Christmas, Happy Holidays and 
Very Happy New Year! 
Have a hot chocolate on me - just don't send me the bill!

2 comments:

  1. Hot chocolate one of my favourite :)

    Well seems you had a great holiday. I ll be going to try the same this time :)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Please do :) Christmas just can't come soon enough!

      Delete