Thursday, September 5, 2013

What's Next On My List? Graduation

There is one kind of movies that I love eternally - and those are the ones that manage to fool even me. That's why I love to read crime novels, I enjoy more than anything to try and figure out who the killer is, and if I'm wrong I'm not sad: I am even more excited that the writer managed to fool even me! That is why I LOVE movies that have a perfect crime in them, so I want to pay homage to my five favorite movies of all time, which manage to amaze me every time I watch them.

Now you will be hearing about one of my absolute favorite movies. Unfortunately not many people know about it, which leaves me always very sad because it is a real gem!

#3

Four friends only a couple of weeks away from graduation, start to struggle as the mom of their friend Carl is sick with cancer and they don't have any more money to cover the expenses. All of them feel that Carl's mom changed their lives somehow and there is no question about wanting to help her.
They turn first to Polly, whose father works at the bank in the town, but after he turns them away, they decide to rob the bank on the day of their graduation. The money is insured, so it will be returned in time - but they need it for an operation as soon as possible. Polly finds that her father is having an affair with one of the workers at the bank; her boyfriend Chauncey feels that they are drifting apart since they applied to different colleges; their friend Carl hooks up with another employee at the bank, complicating the things while Jackson - who turns out to be the smartest of them all - doesn't back out even once. He doesn't know what to do with his life and graduation doesn't seem to help either. He does seem to have a had, however for bankrobbing.
On the morning of their graduation they get into the bank, and everything would be alright - but Polly becomes valedictorian and has to leave them - during which Chauncey shoots Carl because he tries to protect his new girlfriend as she shows up unexpectedly. Jackson handles it at as a hostage situation, as the blood shows up outside on the glass doors. Jackson trades Carl and the girl as two hostages for Polly, but the question is, how will they get out of it without being caught?

The movie has a cast of some exceptional young talents, all people you have seen before. Chris Marquette from The Girl Next Door, Shannon Lucio from The O.C. and Riley Smith from 24. Chris Lowell then landed a job on Private Practice and I'm pretty sure a lot of people know him by now.
I don't really understand why people don't like it. Actually I think that not many people have seen it. There is something really genius about it as these kids do nothing more than be kids. They don't have special weapons or special skills - they have a heart and they will do anything to help a family member in need. The resolution of the movie is really fantastic, as it also involves a common passing: Graduating to a whole new life. Although the bank robbery is essential to the movie's story, still there something great about how these kids grow up over the passing of one morning.
Graduation is about a lot more than excepting a piece of paper and throwing your hat in the air. Not to mention that that is something only Americans do! So, what I'm saying is that the movie isn't only about a robbery that went bad at a point - don't worry, I won't spoil the ending.
The characters are charming, the story has heart and it ties together every subplot that helps the course of the main plot. There is an extra joke at the end that you really don't want to miss out on!

So, if you didn't know this movie I hope that I have written enough to make you curious and you will add it to your own bucket list! It is really a great movie. This means that we have done three and only two of my favorites remain. I just can't wait to reveal them to you!
Until the next item on my list!
_ _ _ _ 

Tom Jackson - Chris Lowell
Polly Deely - Shannon Lucio
Carl Jenkins - Chris Marquette
Chauncey Boyd - Riley Smith

No comments:

Post a Comment