Wednesday, June 23, 2021

The Best Disney Sequels

Over the years there were several Disney projects that continued in either a TV series format or a sequel. Now, in most cases, these sequels went straight to VHS, and their quality was not the same as the original. But my family somehow always got ahold of the sequels and they sometimes had a bigger impact on me than the originals, which we did not have in our own collection. Now, this list like many others I have done will not have a numbering, because I see no point. The main reason I decided to write it is to have it as recommendation, because a lot of people might not know about them, I know for a fact that several of my friends didn't when we had a big talk about our childhood and the cartoons that stayed with us. I decided to talk about my favorites, there are several that did not make the list, and trust me, for good reason. So if you are looking to have a nice evening with cartoons and feel good movies, check out this list!


We had the first Aladdin (1992) and its sequel The Return of Jafar (1994) on the same VHS, and for me it was obvious that everyone knows about the second one, and boy was I wrong. I love the second one, it was a real redemption movie for Yago with awesome songs, but what drew back even more to this story was the third installment, the one about Aladdin's father. It was unique and funny and it continued the originals and showcased a knowledge for the source material as well as giving us more background to characters we already loved to begin with. It is harmless fun!


First, Hamlet, and if you are an English major like me, you immediately after learn about "Rosencrantz and Guildenstern Are Dead", a play by Tom Stoppard. One of the funniest Disney movies I have ever seen, this is a parody that really knows its source material. Perfectly funny for both kids and especially adults, as the play that inspired it really is about understanding intertextuality.  I watched with a friend a couple of weeks ago and it really holds up after all this time too. Very few have actually seen it, but trust me, it is just the best! And the voice over actors returning is often a sign of a good script. Watching back and forth the first and this is a real treat!


It might be silly to think that people need to see what happens once happily ever after begins... but actually, when you think about all the reunions we demand of TV shows, means that we might actually want to see more from where the story comes from. Now, as I mentioned, many Disney classics got TV series made about them and some of the episodes were occasionally also edited together into a movie. This reminded me of those, as it has three very separate stories, but very important ones. My favorite is the redemption story of one of Cinderella's step sisters and I really liked that. It goes to show that a bad parent does not have to define you and some can learn from their mistakes, when surrounded by good people like Cinderella. I liked it far more than the original!


For some reason not a lot of people liked this, and its a shame. It is just a chapter within the original story, at least it was intended as such, but for me it was always a stand alone story about some other secrets within that big castle. And well, the spirit of Christmas gets me every single time. I found the new characters endearing and the winter setting is the thing that I love the most about the original too. Trust me, you want to give this a second chance!


As it is the case with many originals on this list: they can sometimes be too scary. I have found myself not wanting to rewatch some simply because some scenes were too much... now, I don't remember how old I was when I got this VHS, the only thing I remember is that I rewatched it at least 6 times in a row. The story is about the son of Lady and the Tramp, who wishes to have a life free of chains, not knowing the past of his father. It is a harmless little story about appreciating what we have, but the Italian dubbing had really good songs that I knew by heart one day. It is the perfect sequel in my opinion. But if you can, check out the live action of the original!


I have already written about this, again, the original was too scary for me and I wished for more puppy stories without it being traumatic... and that is exactly what I got with this stand alone story. Cute puppies being cute with a wholesome story, funny interactions, something of a mash up between Home Alone (1990) and an Overboard (1987) were a spoiled dummy has to spend life with everyday people and thus learning a humility that was missing from their life. It is just a whole lot of fun, really, if you watch anything from this list, make sure you watch this one. (Read my review here!)


Based on a quite sad and gruesome book, the original made it more kid friendly, but I still feel that it is one of the scariest kids movie out there. Next to Mulan (1998), it did not pull its punches when it came to the villain. For years I could not bring myself to watching it again. Unlike other Disney cartoons that were somewhat feel good movies, I do think that some of the grotesque and historical moments of the original were greatly adapted. So what about the sequel? Well, that is a feel good movie, but it is mostly about a happy ending for a character that we grew to love. 

I have seen actually a lot more, but those were bad in both quality and plot, unfortunately, but I am sure many would debate me and that is the best. After having written my blog for years and having enjoyed sharing my thoughts with people, I do have to admit that the best thing is when we all have different feelings about a movie, TV show, a song, or anything. These are recommendations, I hope I brought you something you have not heard of yet, something that might give you joy, but if it isn't for you, that is fine too!

... and so, until I have another item on my list!

No comments:

Post a Comment