Wednesday, June 16, 2021

10 Sequels That Are Better Than the Original

The following list is one that I put together while honestly just thinking about movies that I would love to re-watch this weekend. We like to see some movies again, while others less so... having noticed a pattern, that all of these are sequels, I decided to get them together into a list for you all. Here we go:

A) Beethoven's 2nd (1993)

I saw this movie before the original, and when I think of the American Dream, I see this family: their cute dog, with its puppies and the family trip that they take to the lake... this family has sooo much love in it, and the dog has so much personality, much more in my opinion than he does in the first movie. It is just a good family fun film that goes past a cliché "father does not want a dog" story that we all know too well by now. 

B) Father of the Bride Part II (1995)



The original, a remake of an Elizabeth Taylor movie, Father of the Bride (1950), was really fun, but I found it focused too much on just the father and his daughter's relationship, which would not have been an issue, had they not introduced some really great characters along with them. The sequel opened up those characters and allowed for a lot of hilarious interactions as well as endearing moments of a family welcoming new members. As having just become an aunt, I can tell you, I find this movie even closer to my heart now than I ever did before. It was a wonderful sequel, one that works without the original too!

C) Three Men and a Little Lady (1990)



The first installment of this story was quite dark. I can only imagine what it is like to be a single mom, but there was another chapter of a conspiracy with a drug lord... whatever, it is depressing. It is based off of a French movie, and I believe they remade it scene by scene, which means that the sequel was the one that allowed itself more originality. Founded in the US vs. Brits cultural difference cliché, it is one of the funniest movies out there. I love every second of it, its heart, the build up, the character developments, the love these man have for this one girl, their dynamic, and friendship... Everything about it is just a home run. I really hope some of you revisit it cause there is not one bad thing I can mention when it comes to this movie. 

D) Addams Family Values (1993)



As one of my favorite Halloween movies, this has to be mentioned here as well, because I cannot remember the first movie, but I can quote to you line by line this one, that's how much it sticks to you. Joan Cusack is a goddess, and the ideas opened up in the story make it endearing. The best family almost black humor based movie ever made in my opinion. Perfect for Halloween for kids of any age and their parents!

E) Sharknado 2: The Second One (2014)



This is just the silliest franchise out there, however, having seen a couple in the frame of bad movies with my friends, I can tell you, that I genuinely enjoyed the second one because it was aware of its own stupidity. It went over the top because it could. It did what people laughed at the most in the first one and it used its actors and characters to their max. I really felt like keeping this movie for later, whenever I am upset, and being aware of the fact that this is not anchored in reality made the sequel awesome. Some movies are not meant to be academy award winners, but they are hella entertaining!

F) Deadpool 2. (2018)


I know, I know, how dare I... I think there was too much expectations from the first movie on my part, and although it did meet those on paper, I can tell you, that the second one surprised me much more. I laughed harder connected better to the characters and overall cared more for the story. I look forward to how they will do the next movies in this franchise!

G) Fast Five (2011)



Although I love this franchise and every movie that has come out, having seen them hundreds of times, I do believe that my favorite was the fifth one. I think people should see all of them, but the visual elements, the stunts, behind the scenes, the music and the casting... every single idea in this movie was wonderful in my opinion. It is just the best one by far. Damn, I need to rewatch them again! (Read my review here!)

H) Ace Ventura: When Nature Calls (1995)



As fun as the original was, it was very scary for me as a kid. Even now, as an adult, having seen it hundreds of times, I am still scared when it comes to certain scenes. The music gets to you... and I know not everyone was a fan of the second, but it spoofed a couple of movies, and I just find myself laughing histerically at times and gagging at others. The second movie (aside from the sexual jokes that you only understand once you grow up), it is very smart and very endearing too. Jim Carrey did a wonderful job and I am so sorry that it was not received well, I promise, you need to see it again! (I included this on my list of favorite movies from the 90s, check it out here!)

I) Hellboy II: The Golden Army (2008)



I do think that this movie did not get the love it deserved, only years later was it reevaluated, although it meant that the franchise with this casting was rebooted. That is a real shame! Both Hellboys were phenomenal, but, the way the second one opened up the universe and I did not have to see someone save yet another American was such a welcome change! The reason I love comics is the fantastical and scifi elements to them, and well, Hellboy delivered over and over again. Make sure you get this movie if you don't have it yet! (Read my review of the movie here!)

J) Indiana Jones and the Last Crusade (1989)



Arguably... you need the first two in order for this one to exist, but honestly, if I ever were to rewatch the Indiana Jones movies, I would only watch this one. It is exceptionally great. It is fantastic, romantic, adventurous, smart, a portrayal of a beautiful father and son relationship, not to mention the bores of academia which I know all too well. 

Have you seen all of them? 

I want to include one more honorable mention, this is quite controversial as the original is so beloved, but as far as the visuals, the story, the characters are concerned, I have enjoyed Ghostbusters II (1989) far more than the original. Arguably, the characters were established in the first and that allowed for more development, but I would re-watch it much more and really anytime, as opposed to the original. 

After having read this, you might ask yourself, what about Marvel movies?! Big big question mark, I know... well, I do not want to see them again. A lot of them are great, I do think that my favorite will always be Thor: Ragnarok (2017), but for now, when I feel like rewatching things, it is never the blockbusters from the past fifteen years. These might all fall beneath the umbrella of nostalgia, but I don't care. Think of Marvel movies more as episodes rather than as sequels as they are almost always on the same level as the one before, if not, better. Trust me, you want these movies off of your bucket list!

Until the next item on my list. 

No comments:

Post a Comment