Tuesday, December 24, 2019

What's Next On My List? Mixed Nuts

I have compiled a list of Christmas movies I re-watch seen since as long as I can remember. Now, I am going through that list and just writing down movies that I would like to talk about a little bit more in detail. I have some of these on my "Best of" Christmas lists, but I have found, after years of writing my blog, that some things just deserve a bit more attention. So let us get in deeper:


A crisis hotline experiences a Christmas Eve unlike any other, it turns out, that it is them who need help to survive the holiday season, and their callers are more than happy to pitch in. In the end, the magic of Christmas brings together a pregnant woman, a transvestite, an unemployed painter, a veterinarian, and the desperate workers of the hotline in a night they will never forget.

I do believe that me and my family have been re-watching this movie every single year for almost 20 years now. December 23, while we bake gingerbread, we put this movie on and still up to today we laugh at every single joke as if we were hearing it for the first time. Nora Ephron has been one of my heroes when it comes to screenwriting. A couple of years back, after her passing, I wrote about what it was like to grow up with her movies, and there is one sentence that always resonates with me when I am writing my characters: "I try to write parts for women that are as complicated and interesting as women actually are". I find that this movie is a perfect example of that, as not only the female, but the male characters too are some of the most unbelievable, yet perfect reasonable personalities that I have ever seen on the screen. I do have to say, that this was co-written with her sister Delia Ephron, who worked on such wonderful stories as Bewitched (2005), Michael (1996), The Sisterhood of Traveling Pants (2005) and also with her sister on You've Got Mail (1998). These two women have truly been responsible for the best of the 90's and the fist decade of the 2000's, and I do feel like growing up with them helped me in my writing more than any other story out there.
Now, getting back to this movie, it is beyond me while this is not the most beloved classic in the history of Hollywood. I just had the pleasure of seeing it in the original voice, and I will say, the Hungarian dubbing added a lot of jokes, but overall, it was equally hilarious with just differently timed puns and gags. And of course, for our family the Hungarian version is closer to our hearts, but I could share it with my girlfriend finally this year as I got it on DVD, and it was delightful to see this as if it was the first time. all over again. Besides the incredible talents behind the script, the director and the crew, the cast in this movie is simply to die for. I am yet to see a movie (American! Because they always f*ck up stories with big names in them) with such a line-up of outstanding and award winning actors who work so well together and actually have a smart script behind them. I can only imagine how awesome it must have been to be on the set of this movie. 

Watch it? Yes, please. I have made it my mission to recommend this movie to everyone, because it is simply the best one I know, and every time someone mentions Christmas, I can only think of this. Also, it is a great to have something to share with my whole family. And what is more, I am not even blinded by nostalgia goggles: having shown it to a new person and them appreciating this hectic and insane story but having good laughs at the same time reassured me that I have good reason to love it and return to it every year.

Until the next item on my list!


_ _ _ _ _

Steve Martin - Philip
Rita Wilson - Catherine
Madeline Kahn - Mrs. Munchnik
Robert Klein - Mr. Lobel
Juliette Lewis - Gracie
Rob Reiner - Dr. Kinsky
Adam Sandler - Louie
Parker Posey - Rollerblader
Jon Stewart - Rollerblader

No comments:

Post a Comment