Wednesday, February 14, 2018

What's Next On My List? Professor Marston & The Wonder Women

HAPPY VALENTINE'S DAY! 
I decided to post this review on the day of lovers because... because love is love. 
Celebrate it no matter what and never let anyone tell you that you are not allowed to feel the way you do! The heart is precious and make sure you take care of it!

I have waited for over eight months for this movie, ever since the first trailer came out and then stupid Hungary didn't release it in the theater... I was hoping that it will finally be available during the award season and I watched it right away. Then watched it again. Then some scenes and I just marveled at how this story got me thinking about my life for hours on end. It was simply brilliant, from every point of view, and we are taking a break in #StalloneMonth to talk about this fascinating story on the day of love!


Based on a true story, it is the life of professor William Moulton Marston, the psychologist who was the brain behind the comic Wonder Woman, the most famous woman superhero of all time. While figuring out how to make the lie detector function, he and his wife Elizabeth hire a young student and the three end up developing feelings for each other, but at the same time feel the pressure on them, as their relationship seems unacceptable from the outside. Shamed by others, Marston takes up a pseudonym and starts to write the comic book that ended in making him famous all around the world. But the story is really about his muses.

"I think you long for an unconventional life."

Before I head in, I have to say that I was completely taken by the performance of these actors. I have been following the career of the couple portraying the Marstons, Luke Evans and Rebecca Hall for as long as I can remember. I have found them a wonderful pairing and this movie just added to a long list of films that I consider to be favorites of mine starring them. I look forward to seeing them in as many movies as I can count!
Turning to the movie... You might find that the lead character is Professor Marston, but I would beg to differ. The person that changes the most, the one that learns the real lesson of the story was Elizabeth. While Marston and Olive have no problem putting their happiness ahead of others, she keeps enforcing that appearances matter more. She is capable of putting aside her own feelings, wants, emotions and wishes for people who have no concept of the love she feels for her husband and Olive. In the beginning of the movie she is upset that they don't take her seriously because she is a woman and she wants a doctorate degree from Harvard, and no other school will suffice. Not to mention that she has a very strong will and sometimes overpowers even her husband. Her love for him is also partially due to the fact that he sees how brilliant she is and never puts her below himself: "He respects me. He loves me. And he's never boring". Their work together matters to her, but when their affair with Olive is uncovered they are both fired from the university, being forced to do work that Elizabeth deems to be inferior.
I was moved by Marston's approach to females, we are between the two wars and he deems women to be the most important thing, so it is no wonder really that he came up with the strongest superhero alive, and making her a woman. What I love about Marston is that he also wishes to learn about women, and as much as he loves these two in his life, he also takes the time to understand them. In the end he turns towards Elizabeth and tells her that she cannot win every argument, she cannot always be dominant. In their relationship Elizabeth and Marston are equals and it is Olive who is submissive, but what the story teaches is that you should not abuse of the one who is willing to submit to you. The other is still a person, with feelings, and thoughts of their own. You are not in a relationship with someone to abuse them for your own good. They are not a puppet.
Marston recognizes the potential in both of them and that is how he creates what is in his head the perfect woman. What makes this an adorable story in my humble opinion is the trust among them. This trust is fueled by that incredible love they feel for each other. Yes, this is based on a true story, so one might argue that in real life it was different, but I don't believe that. You see, at the end of the movie it says that Elizabeth and Olive stayed together until their death, raising their children together after Marston passed. It is an unconventional story, but those are the most beautiful ones. I find that stories that tell you how much the heart is capable of are by far the best ones. There is no need to label it, as that only serves to help others understand, but... then again, who cares about others? That is the main lesson here. Nobody can force you to put aside what you want. Follow your heart.

"How are you going to learn anything at all about life if you refuse to live it?"

Watch it? Absolutely. This has become the best movie of 2017 for me, and for me, having seen it in January also of 2018. Love is love and the way this movie portrays the tender side of that stuck with me. I too want something as sweet and true like their love. It was not the stupid romantic comedies that made me long to hold someone but this beautiful movie portraying what some would deem 'wrong'... but how could love this pure ever be wrong? Wonderful, wonderful movie indeed.

Until the next item on my list!
_ _ _ _ _

Professor Marston - Luke Evans
Elizabeth Marston - Rebecca Hall
Olive Byrne - Bella Heathcote
Josette Frank - Connie Britton
M. C. Gaines - Oliver Platt 
Charles Guyette - JJ Feild

No comments:

Post a Comment